Learning how to make row boat oars is not too hard of a process, but you will need a solid understanding of tool use and craftsmanship. Certain supplies are also necessary to undertake this project. The following steps is advice on how to make row boat oars.
- Six-foot by eight-inches by two-inch thick boards (one for each oar)
- Saw (table saw or electric hand saw)
- Electric sander
- Waterproof wood finish
- Buy all of the necessary materials. Any home improvement store or construction supply company will be able to help you out.
- Determine the size of the oars you want. This can vary based on your size and the height of the boat, but oars close to or at six-feet in length are often ideal.
- Trace the outline of the oar onto a piece of hardwood, going with the grain. It should have a thicker, seven to eight-inch blade that is at least eighteen-inches in length and a long, two-inch wide by two-inch thick shaft with no handle.
- Cut this outline from the wood. Using the electric sander, sand the blade down so it tapers to within half an inch in thickness at its tip. Then, sand the shaft's corners to make each corner rounded.
- Hit the whole row boat oar with sandpaper to smooth it out (it should have a a sturdy, rounded shaft and a flatter, smooth blade). Coat the entire oar with several coats of waterproof finish. If more oars are needed (each boat will need two), build more oars using the same technique.
Learning how to make row boat oars at home is not too hard. You will need to use finesse and understand tool use to make them, but with those qualities you can make beautifully crafted row boat oars that are fully functional and strong enough to last.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.