How To Make Rum At Home
Learning how to make rum at home is a fairly simple process. Like most alcohol, it takes a lot of time to make rum at home, but it is not overly difficult. You can also purchase rum-making kits. You can also purchase flavorings for your homemade rum.
Items you will need to make rum at home:
- One gallon distilled water
- A glass jug
- A stopper with some form of air lock for the jug (see note)
- A packet of yeast
- Sterilize all equipment. There are serious risks involved in making your own alcohol. You can cut down on these risks by keeping everything clean.
- Dump the distilled water into the jug. Do not try to use a plastic jug or the one the water came in.
- Add the molasses to the water. Molasses is messy, so make sure not to spill any. It is also slow to pour, so leaving the bottle so that it pours into the jug on its own is a good idea.
- Mix the jug well. Carefully cover the opening with your hand. Now shake the jug until it is well blended.
- Add the yeast. Do not open the yeast packet until this step. Light kills yeast and makes it ineffective.
- Mix the jug again. Do this the same way you did in step four.
- Put the stopper into the jug. Now, place the jug in a dark and dry place for two to three months so your rum can ferment.
- Next, put the jug into the freezer. Once the jug has become slush, drain the slush.
- Enjoy your rum.
Note: To make an airlock, cut two holes in a rubber stopper. Insert a piece of tubing so that both end go into the holes. The tubing goes on the outside of the jar.