This is a simple lesson in learning how to make Salisbury steak. Salisbury steak has been served up on tables around the world for more than 100 years. For many, Salisbury Steak is the quintessential comfort food; meat and gravy, often served with mashed potatoes and green beans. This humble fare can be jazzed up or left simple but one thing remains the same: Salisbury Steak is little more than a hamburger patty with gravy on top.
Items you’ll need to prepare Salisbury Steak:
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 ½ pounds of lean ground beef
- 1 cup of fresh bread crumbs
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 28 ounces of low sodium beef broth
- large bowl
- Large skillet
How to prepare Salisbury Steak:
- Prepare the Beef Mixture Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the onions. Saute the onions for about six minutes or until they are soft. Divide the onions in half and put one half in a large bowl and set the others to the side. Add the beef, bread crumbs, garlic, Worcestershire and egg to the large bowl with the onions and mix well, then form into four oval shaped patties.
- Cook the Patties Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet and over medium heat cook the patties until they are browned on the bottom, then turn them over to brown the other side. This should take about 4 minutes per side; they will finish cooking in the gravy. Remove the steaks from the pan and discard all but two tablespoons of the pan drippings.
- Make the Gravy Add the remaining onions to the skillet and sprinkle the flour over the top. Stir this together well and turn the heat on medium. All the mixture to sizzle for two minutes then slowly whisk in the beef broth. Continue stirring over medium heat and the mixture will thicken.
- Finish Cooking Once the gravy has come to a boil, return the steaks to the pan and reduce the heat to a bare simmer and allow the patties to cook for an additional five minutes then turn them over for another five minutes of cooking time. Serve the Salisbury steaks with mashed potatoes and your favorite green vegetable.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.