It is not that difficult to learn how to make shredded chicken sandwiches. This recipe is for a super easy, hot and creamy chicken sandwich that has all the makings of a classic comfort food. Use a reduced fat cream soup and a low calorie bun if you need a delicious low fat meal. All you need is one good sized pot or saucepan to make shredded chicken sandwiches so clean up will be a breeze.
To make shredded chicken sandwiches you will need:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (use any type of cream soup you like: cream of celery chicken)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Sandwich rolls or buns
- Season your chicken to taste with salt and pepper. Place in a pot with the chopped onion, garlic and cream of mushroom soup.
- Pour water over the chicken to cover. Add no more than 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring the entire mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Allow the chicken to cook through until it is no longer pink. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts; usually 20-25 minutes will be needed to thoroughly cook.
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Place it on a cutting board or on a plate. Allow the chicken to rest about 5 to 10 minutes to cool and seal in the juices.
- Boil the mixture that remains in the pot until it is reduced and thickened while your chicken is resting. Turn the heat back down to simmer.
- Shred the chicken using two forks or your fingers. Put the shredded chicken back in the pot with the sauce mixture and heat through for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Toast sandwich buns or rolls to make a good old fashioned shredded chicken sandwich. Place the shredded chicken on the roll or bun.
Don't shred your chicken too thin or you may end up with a soggy sandwich. Substitute the soup with barbecue sauce to make spicy shredded chicken sandwiches. Add a dash of hot sauce too.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …