How To Make Skateboard Deck
Learning how to make a skateboard deck requires time and materials. You will also need to have a basic understanding of craftsmanship and tool use. Following is how to make a skateboard deck.
- Several sheets of wood veneer
- Wood glue
- Deck mold
- Saw, such as table saw or electric hand saw
How to Make a Skateboard deck:
- First, buy all of the materials from any construction or building supply company.
- Then, decide on the dimensions of your skateboard. The same process is used to make either a long board or a standard board, so note what you want your deck to be for.
- Cut the shape of the board out of seven or eight pieces of veneer. Place would glue between these, layer them so that they are one over the other, and clamp them.
- Next, you must shape the board as the glue is drying. Place the layered sheets into a deck mold, which many skate shops have, and remove clamps after the glue has only began to harden. Close the mold, and allow the glue to dry thoroughly before removing the deck from the mold.
- Once dry, take the shaped skateboard deck from the mold. Sand it thoroughly, removing any patches of excess glue or uneven wood to make the board smooth. You may now use it as part of a board by attaching trucks and paper, and painting any design on the bottom of it.
Learning how to make a skateboard deck at home is an easier process than you might think, but it does require time, craftsmanship, and access to a skateboard deck mold. Once shaped and finished, you may complete your homemade skateboard with the deck that you have made.