Learning how to make socks is fun and easy. If you make your own socks, you can customize them by using any fabric you like. You can also choose to vary the length of the socks. Making socks is great because you can make socks that fit you perfectly.
Things you'll need:
- A measuring tape
- Long piece of cardboard
- Fabric that does not fray
- Start by deciding how long you would like your socks to be. Use the measuring tape to measure from the longest toe to the highest point your sock will reach.
- Measure this length on the cardboard and draw a line from the beginning to the end of the measurement. Measure from your toe to your ankle and mark the spot where your ankle hits on the cardboard.
- Measure around your ankle and divide the measurement in half. Measure the halved amount from your ankle mark the length on the cardboard.
- Measure from your toe to your heel and mark this spot on the cardboard as well. If your socks will go above your calves, mark any spots where your leg width fluctuates and measure down from the length line.
- Using the marks of your heel and ankle, draw another line to create a pattern for your sock. Remember to look at the shape of the foot while completing this step to be accurate. Cut out the pattern and fold your chosen fabric in half.
- Thread the needle and tie the ends together. Place your cardboard pattern against the folded edge of the fabric and trace the pattern.
- Cut the fabric. Sew the length of the pattern but do not sew the toes shut.
- Turn the folded fabric so the seem runs up the back of the sock. Sew straight across the toe line.
Learning how to make socks is easy when you get the measurements down. You can make your own personalized socks easily using fabric and a few other tools. Try making socks today. Your feet will thank you.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.