Learn how to make a soft cat carrier to take your cat along in style. Sometimes, it's necessary to take your cat with you, whether it's to the veterinary's office or to stay overnight somewhere besides home. A soft cat carrier can be stylish and functional. Make it just the right size so your cat will be comfortable and you can carry the cat safely. By using a plywood base for the soft cat carrier, you can provide a firm place for kitty to lie down or stand while in transit.
To make a soft cat carrier, you will need:
- Heavy duty fabric
- Staple gun
- Thin plywood
- Sewing machine, scissors, thread
- Start with a thin piece of plywood for the base. Depending on how large you want to make the soft cat carrier, cut a piece of plywood. A good starting point is 10 inches wide by 16 inches long. Adjust the measurement for the size of your cat.
- Cover the plywood with batting. Wrap the base with fiberfill batting and use a staple gun to affix the batting on the underside of the wood.
- Cut fabric for the soft cat carrier base. Cut a piece of fabric 22 inches wide by 34 inches long. Wrap the base with the fabric and staple it in place, folding the fabric as you would a package. Use the staple gun to affix the fabric on the underside of the wood.
- Cut fabric for the cat carrier. Cut two pieces of fabric for the ends of the cat carrier, each 12 inches wide by 12 inches tall. Cut a piece of fabric to drape over the top as a dome, 18 inches wide by 16 inches long. Sew the ends one at a time to the domed piece. It will resemble a toaster cover.
- Make a handle. Cut a piece of fabric for the handle, 4 inches wide by 12 inches long. Fold the right sides together and sew one end at the length, leaving an opening on the other end. Turn the fabric to expose the right side of the fabric. Lay the handle on top of the soft cat carrier and stitch it in place on both ends. Make sure to stitch the handle down multiple times to ensure it will stay in place.
- Add a zipper to the cat carrier. Along one side of the soft car carrier, slit the fabric and sew a zipper in place. This will create an opening for the cat, so use a long enough zipper that the cat will be able to go in and out easily.
- Attach the top to the base. Use the staple gun to attach the top of the cat carrier to the base. Fold under the fabric at the base and staple along the edge of the plywood to secure the top to the base.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.