If you would like to prepare a traditional Mexican meal, you will want to learn how to make sopes. Sopes are corn flour patties. The patties are stuffed with simple and tasty ingredients. Read on if you enjoy preparing delicious cultural foods!
To make sopes, you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups masa harina
- 1 cup warm water
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup frijoles refritos
- 1 1/2 cups chorizo y papa,
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup finely shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco
- A spreading knife
- A medium-sized bowl
- A damp kitchen towel
- A cast iron skillet
- Place the masa harina in the medium-sized bowl with the warm water. Do not pour all the water in immediately. Allow the flour to absorb the water gradually.
- Smooth the masa harina and water mixture with your hands. It will come together as a dough. Cover the bowl with the damp cloth and set in a cool area for one hour.
- Uncover the masa. Work with the dough until it is very smooth and soft. Divide the dough into twelve equal parts and roll the parts into balls 1 1/4 inches in diameter.
- Cover the rolled balls with the damp towel. This will keep the dough moist.
- Heat the cast iron skillet over medium heat. Make sure your cast iron is seasoned properly to create a non-stick surface.
- Flatten one ball gently with your hand. Press until the ball is a disk 3 1/2 inches by 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the disk into the cast iron skillet and cook until the underside is opaque with brown speckles. This will take about two minutes. Flip the sopes and cook two minutes, and repeat until you have done all twelve.
- Cook until the sopes are firm and thoroughly cooked, which should take another two minutes. The final two minutes will remove any uncooked dough taste.
- Spread the frijoles refritos onto the sopes and add the chorizo y papa, salsa, shredded lettuce, chopped white onion and crumbled queso fresco. Serve the sopes immediately.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …