If you would like to prepare a traditional Mexican meal, you will want to learn how to make sopes. Sopes are corn flour patties. The patties are stuffed with simple and tasty ingredients. Read on if you enjoy preparing delicious cultural foods!
To make sopes, you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups masa harina
- 1 cup warm water
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup frijoles refritos
- 1 1/2 cups chorizo y papa,
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup finely shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco
- A spreading knife
- A medium-sized bowl
- A damp kitchen towel
- A cast iron skillet
- Place the masa harina in the medium-sized bowl with the warm water. Do not pour all the water in immediately. Allow the flour to absorb the water gradually.
- Smooth the masa harina and water mixture with your hands. It will come together as a dough. Cover the bowl with the damp cloth and set in a cool area for one hour.
- Uncover the masa. Work with the dough until it is very smooth and soft. Divide the dough into twelve equal parts and roll the parts into balls 1 1/4 inches in diameter.
- Cover the rolled balls with the damp towel. This will keep the dough moist.
- Heat the cast iron skillet over medium heat. Make sure your cast iron is seasoned properly to create a non-stick surface.
- Flatten one ball gently with your hand. Press until the ball is a disk 3 1/2 inches by 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the disk into the cast iron skillet and cook until the underside is opaque with brown speckles. This will take about two minutes. Flip the sopes and cook two minutes, and repeat until you have done all twelve.
- Cook until the sopes are firm and thoroughly cooked, which should take another two minutes. The final two minutes will remove any uncooked dough taste.
- Spread the frijoles refritos onto the sopes and add the chorizo y papa, salsa, shredded lettuce, chopped white onion and crumbled queso fresco. Serve the sopes immediately.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …