When you learn how to make soul food baked macaroni and cheese you will always be ready to serve comfort food whenever it is needed. A thick, mildly spiced, cheese sauce is poured over cooked macaroni, topped with buttered bread crumbs, and baked to a golden brown. Soul food baked macaroni and cheese with salad on the side, is the perfect comfort food.
To make soul food baked macaroni and cheese, you will need:
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bread crumbs
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Melt two tablespoons of butter in the microwave or in a sauce pan. Mix ½ cup bread crumbs into the melted butter and set aside. Finely chop a small onion and set aside.
- Cook the macaroni. Fill a large pot ¾ full of water and add three tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil. Bring the water to a full boil and add the macaroni. Stir frequently and cook until the macaroni is just tender, not mushy. Drain the macaroni in a colander and place in a deep baking dish.
- Make the cheese sauce. As soon as you put the water on to boil for the macaroni start making the cheese sauce. Heat the milk in the microwave for three to four minutes. Melt three tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over a medium to low heat. Add salt and flour to the butter and mix thoroughly. Add the warm milk slowly while mixing constantly. Stir in the onion, mustard, pepper, and salt. Cook and stir constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Beat the egg. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, and then slowly add three tablespoons of the warm milk to the beaten egg, stirring constantly until smooth. Add the egg mixture to the thickened sauce stirring until blended. Add the shredded cheese and stir constantly until the cheese melted and the cheese sauce is smooth and blended. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked macaroni and mix until there is a coating of cheese sauce on all the soul food macaroni. Sprinkle buttered bread crumbs over the top of the soul food macaroni and cheese. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the top layer of the soul food macaroni and cheese is golden brown and the under layers are bubbling. Serve hot.
- Macaroni and cheese can be made with many types of pasta. The standard pasta used in macaroni and cheese is elbow macaroni. Shells, spirals, and wheels work well in macaroni and cheese.
- Don’t overdo the mustard and pepper in the macaroni and cheese. The kitchen is the one place where the rule “if this much is good, more is better” does not apply.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.