If you're searching for a warm and filling meal with a Chinese flare, learning how to make soup dumplings can be just what you're looking for. Traditionally called Xiaolongbao and served with dim sum, soup dumplings are made from a filling of pork, sauces and spices wrapped in a pastry and steamed in a bamboo basket. Completed soup dumplings can be served in a broth and with a sauce made of black vinegar, soy sauce and ginger, if desired.
To make soup dumplings, you will need:
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 1 tablespoon green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- Dash sesame oil
- Dash Chinese rice wine
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded or leaves separated
Steps to make soup dumplings:
- Make the filling for the soup dumplings by combining ground pork, green onions, sugar, soy sauce, salt, pepper, ginger, sesame oil and rice wine in a mixing bowl. Mix until well combined and refrigerate.
- Combine flour and water in a small bowl. Mix by hand until the dough no longer sticks to hands or the bowl, about 10 minutes. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Make soup dumpling wrappers by dividing the dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each dough portion into a flat circle about three inches in diameter.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the filling into the center of each soup dumpling. Fold the edges of the dough up to enclose the filling. Gather and press the dough to seal the edges.
- Place cabbage in the bottom of a bamboo basket and heat over boiling water in a saucepan or wok. Place soup dumplings in the bamboo basket and steam for about five minutes.
- Serve with cabbage, and broth or sauce if desired.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!