Learn how to make sour milk to use for a lot of baked goods. Many older recipes call for sour milk. This is from a time when people did not throw things out and found a use for milk which was no longer sweet enough to drink. It is not a product you find in stores, but if you do not have old milk in the refrigerator then it is easy to make sour milk. Sour milk does not mean that the milk is spoiled. It means that the flavor has changed giving the milk a more tart taste. It requires a few ingredients that you probably already have around the house.
- White vinegar or lemon juice
- Use whole or two percent milk. Avoid skim milk which does not work as well with the older recipes that soured milk is required in. Measure out one cup of milk in a liquid measuring cup.
- Add one teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice. Stir until well mixed.
- Allow the mixture to sit for ten to fifteen minutes. The milk should curdle which means that some solid particles will appear in the milk. The milk is then sour and ready to use for your recipes. If the milk does not curdle in this time frame, add a little more vinegar or lemon juice.
- If you need to increase the recipe, keep the milk-to vinegar ration at one cup milk to one teaspoon of vinegar.
- Search for old recipes which require sour milk. It can be found in recipes for cakes, cookies and best of all home-made biscuits.
We know it’s not even Spring yet, but that shouldn’t stop you from skipping ahead a season and getting all s ...
One of the greatest attributes about America is our expansive and diverse population. No other country in the world cont ...
Know what’s great about having your friends over to watch a game at your own domicile? No one is going to yell, “Down in ...