Learn hot to make southern chicken and dumplings and you will always have the perfect meal to serve on a cold night. Chicken and dumplings is a tradition of southern cooks everywhere. Serve southern chicken and dumplings with salad or steam vegetables to complete the meal and don’t forget the iced tea.
To make southern chicken and dumplings, you will need:
- Small Onion
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 Stalks of celery
- 2 Carrots
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup Milk
- 3 ¼ cup Bisquick
- Large pot with tight lid
- Boil Chicken. Cut the chicken breasts widthwise into two inch strips. Dice or chop up a whole small onion, two carrots, and three celery stalks. Place the chicken and vegetables in a deep large pot with a tight fighting lid and add six cups of water. Add three chicken bouillon cubes and a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil and cover the pot with a lid. Lower the heat and simmer the chicken for 1 1/2 hours. Do not over salt the broth.
- Dumpling dough. Stir Bisquick and milk together in a bowl until you have soft dumpling dough. Turn the heat up on the southern chicken to bring it to a boil.
- Cook the dumplings. Use a tablespoon to scoop balls of dumpling dough and drop the dough from a spoon onto the surface of the boiling chicken broth. Space the dumplings evenly around the pot. Lower the heat and cook for ten minutes. Cover the pot and cook for another ten minutes. Yields fifteen dumplings. Serve hot.
- A good cook leaves the pepper out of southern chicken and dumplings. A lot of people have allergies to pepper or just don’t enjoy the flavor. Fortunately, pepper is something that can be added later by the individual.
- Do not overfill the pot of boiling chickenwith dumpling dough. They may not cook thoroughly and your southern chicken and dumplings may have some raw dough areas. To make additional dumpling repeat the dumpling recipe and cook them over boiling chicken broth in a separate pot.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.