Learn how to make spaghetti sauce from scratch to serve a delicious, home-cooked meal. Spaghetti and meatballs is an old standby. When you make your own spaghetti sauce, you can tailor it to your liking. Some people prefer a sweet sauce, while others like their spaghetti sauce with a bite. Fixing spaghetti sauce from scratch is easy and will get you compliments all around. Serve this delicious homemade spaghetti sauce from scratch with a green salad and garlic bread.
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Peel the onion and chop it into small pieces. Peel the garlic cloves and finely dice them.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan on medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic into the olive oil, stirring frequently. Cook until the onions are clear.
- Pour the tomatoes and tomato paste into the pan. Stir thoroughly.
- Add the basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and honey into the tomato mixture. Stir well.
- Cook over low heat for one to one and a half hours, stirring every fifteen minutes so the spaghetti sauce doesn't stick.
- Taste the spaghetti sauce and season as needed by adding in additional basil, oregano or red pepper flakes. Stir thoroughly.
- Add one pound browned ground beef or cooked Italian sausage (if desired) that has been drained after the spaghetti sauce has cooked for one hour. Continue cooking an additional half to one hour.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.