For a midnight snack or a for a Mexican feast, knowing how to make Spanish Rice will ensure you’re well-fed for any occasion! Nearly every Latin country has a recipe for how to make Spanish Rice – also called Mexican rice or Arroz – with variations that include spices like cumin or cayenne pepper and ingredients like bell or jalapeno peppers. This basic recipe whips up quickly and easily, and it works just as well in burritos or enchiladas as it does served with steak or chicken. Feel free to experiment and make Spanish Rice with your own favorite spices and add-ins for a delicious snack or side dish any time!
To make Spanish Rice, you’ll need:
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons lard or olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1/4 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced fresh or cooked tomatoes, strained
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A large skillet
- A saucepan
- To make Spanish Rice, add olive oil or lard to a large skillet. Place it on the stove and turn the heat on between medium and high. Add the rice and cook it, stirring frequently, until it turns brown.
- Add the onion and the garlic to your Spanish Rice. Stir the onion and rice mixture often as you cook it for about four minutes, until onions are softened.
- Meanwhile, prepare the broth for your Spanish Rice. In a saucepan, add the chicken stock and bring it to a simmer. Add the tomato sauces and the salt, and let the mixture simmer.
- Transfer the rice, onion, and garlic to the saucepan with the broth. Bring to the mixture to a simmer, then cover the pan and turn the heat to low. Cook your Spanish Rice for fifteen minutes. “Everyday with Rachel Ray” magazine recommends you leave the pot covered and undisturbed.Steam cooks rice, and since peeking inside the pot will let the steam escape, your rice will take longer to finish. Since cooking time varies depending upon the type of rice you’ve used, lift the lid quickly to check your Spanish Rice after fifteen minutes, and allow it to cook for five to ten more minutes if necessary. When the rice is done, the liquid will have been absorbed and the grains will be tender.
- Turn off heat and let your Spanish Rice sit for five minutes. Serve it immediately. Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- You can reheat Spanish Rice easily by putting it in the microwave for thirty second intervals. You can also reheat it on the stovetop by adding about 2 tablespoons of water to the pan for each cup of rice, and heating it slowly.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.