How To Make Spring Rolls
So you are tired of tipping the delivery boy and want to learn how to make spring rolls in the comfort of your own home? The good news for you is that spring rolls are simple to make and require only a few specialty ingredients. Similar to egg rolls, spring rolls consist of a variety of shredded ingredients wrapped in a thin wonton wrapper and fried. Pair these tasty appetizers with a good stir fry or sesame chicken for the ultimate homemade Asian meal.
To make spring rolls you will need:
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon ground or diced ginger
- 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced lengthwise
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 drops sesame oil
- 20 wonton wrappers
- Peanut oil for frying
- Extra soy sauce for dipping
- A wok or non-stick skillet
- Deep pan for frying
To make spring rolls:
- Heat peanut oil in wok over medium heat.
- Add ginger, scallions, carrots, bean sprouts and toss to coat with the oil.
- Stir in vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil while stirring.
- Cook ingredients for 5 minutes allowing most of the liquid to evaporate.
- Set aside and let mixture cool.
- Place one tablespoon of the mixture in the center of a wonton square.
- Fold in sides and toll up.
- Put a little bit of water along the edge of the wonton square and press against the roll to seal it closed.
- Repeat technique to assemble the rest of the rolls.
- Heat three inches of peanut oil in a deep pan over medium to medium high heat. The goal temperature for the oil is 365 degrees measured with a cooking thermometer.
- Drop a few of the rolls into the oil and a time and cook until golden brown.
- Remove rolls from the oil and let drain on rack or paper towels.
- Serve hot with soy sauce for dipping.