If you've got an abundance of fresh squash and would like to learn how to make squash casserole, you should know that it isn't difficult. Using a few simple ingredients, you'll be able to create a delicious squash casserole that can enhance any meal. One of the most common types of squash used in casserole recipes is the yellow squash. To create a savory squash casserole, you'll need to choose your ingredients and combine them before cooking.
To make squash casserole, you will need:
- 4 cups squash
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 30 crushed butter crackers
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Assemble your ingredients. To prepare a basic squash casserole, you'll first need to choose the type of squash you want to use. Slice approximately four cups of squash for your casserole. While you prepare your other ingredients, pre-heat the oven to approximately 400 degrees.
- Cook the squash. To begin making your squash casserole, combine the sliced squash and the onion in a large skillet, adding water. Cook over high heat for approximately five minutes, or until the squash and onion are tender. Drain excess water and place the squash and the onion into a bowl.
- Combine the casserole ingredients and bake. Add approximately half of the cheese and crumbled crackers to the squash and onion mixture, along with the milk and eggs. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Spoon the mixture into a large baking dish. Cover the mixture with the remainder of your cheese and crackers. Bake until the mixture is lightly browned (usually about 25 to 30 minutes).
- Squash casserole variations. If you want to add a unique flair when making squash casserole, consider adding a few additional ingredients. For example, when cooking the squash and onions, add in some bacon for a nice, smoky flavor to the dish. You can also add ground sausage for a savory squash casserole. If you'd like to go low-fat with your casserole, consider replacing regular cheddar cheese with low-fat or fat-free varieties.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.