Tomatoes grown in a fertile soil with proper moisture and fertilization will create a bumper crop of fruit that can be used to make stewed tomatoes. The process is simple and the result are tomatoes that work well in various recipes or eaten immediately as a flavorful fresh soup. Preserve stewed tomatoes for later use by freezing or canning.
To make stewed tomatoes, you will need:
- Large pot
- 6 to 8 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 3/4 cup celery
- 1/2 cup green pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Crock pot
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Remove the cores from six to eight ripe tomatoes while waiting for the water to boil. Place the tomatoes into the boiling water for 30 seconds and remove promptly. Quickly slide the skins off the tomatoes with your hands and place the skinless tomatoes into an ice water bath.
- Cut the skinless tomatoes into wedges and place them into a crockpot. Chop one onion, 3/4 cup celery and 1/2 cup green pepper and place all vegetables into the crockpot to make stewed tomatoes.
Add two tablespoons butter, three tablespoons sugar, one bay leaf, one teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper to the crockpot.
- Mix all contents in the crockpot to combine. Cover the crockpot and cook on the low setting for eight hours to make stewed tomatoes.
- Remove the bay leaf once the tomatoes are cooked. Serve the stewed tomatoes as a side dish. Preserve the stewed tomatoes by freezing or canning in a hot water bath.
- A quick method to making stewed tomatoes is on the stove. Place the tomatoes in a pot and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Stir the tomato mixture frequently to prevent the contents from burning onto the bottom of the pot.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.