By learning how to make sticky rice with coconut ice cream you can prepare a sweet and refreshing treat to enjoy on a hot summer day. Coconut ice cream and sticky rice are Thai favorites commonly sold by street vendors throughout the year. For more information on making this sweet treat at home, read on to find out how to make sticky rice and coconut ice cream.
To make sticky rice and coconut ice cream, you will need:
- 2 cups Thai sweet rice (also called sticky or glutinous rice)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 14 oz. coconut milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Combine the rice and water in a medium saucepan. Allow to soak for at least six hours. While the rice is soaking, prepare the coconut ice cream.
- Mix the coconut milk, milk, heavy cream and sugar in a separate medium saucepan. Heat on low, stirring frequently. Heat and mix until the sugar is completely dissolved, but do not let the mixture boil.
- Place the saucepan in a large bowl full of ice water and place in the freezer. As the coconut ice cream begins to freeze, blend the mixture every so often to break up ice crystals. Repeat the process of freezing and blending until a soft ice cream is created.
- Add salt to the rice mixture and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- Once the mixture boils, reduce heat and simmer partially covered for ten minutes. Cook until the water is completely absorbed.
- Cover the pan tightly with a lid and turn off the heat. Leave the pan on the warm burner and let sit for about ten minutes.
- Allow the rice to sit in the pan until you are ready to eat or refrigerate, if desired. The rice will stay warm for about two hours with refrigeration recommended after that time.
- Spoon a bit of the sticky rice to a serving dish and top with a scoop of the coconut ice cream. Serve and enjoy!
Sticky rice with coconut ice cream tips and variations:
- Top the dessert with shredded coconut flakes or a simple sauce made from heating three-fourths can coconut milk, one-fourth cup sugar, one teaspoon vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Try serving the sticky rice hot, cold and at room temperature to see which you enjoy best.
- Use a rice cooker to save time and energy preparing the rice. The sticky rice can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated for up to three days. It will become more sticky the longer it sits.
- Prepare the coconut ice cream in an ice cream maker, if desired. Follow the manufacturer's directions to process the ice cream.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.