Learning how to make strawberry wine could prove very useful for summer gatherings and barbecues. Strawberry wine is a delicious refreshing treat that can be made from home with a little effort and patience.
- Fermenter pail
- Sodium bisulfite
- Acid blend
- Wine tannin
- Pectic enzyme
- Yeast nutrient
- Champagne yeast
- 2 five-gallon glass containers with airtight lids
- Remove the stems and leaves. After the stems and leaves are removed from your strawberries wash them thoroughly in a bowl. Then mash or cut the strawberries into smaller pieces.
- Add the strawberries to a fermenter pail. Using a clean 5 of six gallon fermenter pail, add the strawberries and just enough water to cover them.
- Prepare the ingredients. Add 1/4 tsp. sodium bisulfate. This helps remove bacteria and mold. Add 8 tsp. of acid blend and 1 tsp. of wine tannin into the fermenter for flavor. Drop 1/4 tsp. pectic enzyme. This reduces the milky facade that happens. These ingredients will also give the wine a thinner yet syrupy look.
- Cover for 24 hours. Cover the fermenter for 24 hours with a towel. Then add 5 gallons of water to dilute the mixture. Add 14 cups of sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Speed up the fermentation. Add one package of yeast and 5 tsp. of yeast nutrient to speed up fermentation.
- Ferment for 7 days. After the strawberry wine has fermented for 7 days siphon the wine into a 5 gallon glass container. Place an airtight cap over the container and ferment for 6 weeks.
- Siphon again into another 5 gallon glass container. Close with an airtight lid and let it stand for 2 more weeks prior to transferring the wine into bottles. The strawberry wine should be clear and not cloudy at this time.
With some practice all your friends will be asking you how to make strawberry wine and yours will be a hit at summer parties everywhere. Add a slice of green lime for aesthetics and you are good to go.