On a rainy day, it can be a good idea to know how to make string instruments out of household items. Doing a craft like this not only keeps the children busy making their instruments, but allows them to make music too. Children love to create things, and guitars are always popular with the kids. So the next time your kids are crying because they are bored, show them how to make string instruments out of household items by following these directions:
To make string instruments out of household items, you will need:
- A cereal box
- Six large rubber bands
- Clear tape
- A cardboard paper towel roll
- Paint your cereal box. Have the children pick out their favorite color of paint. Use the paint to paint the entire cereal box and paper towel roll. There is no right or wrong way to paint. They can use one color or ten, it does not matter; let them be as creative as they want. The hardest part of making string instruments out of household items is waiting for the paint to dry.
- Cut the bottom of the paper towel roll. Once the paint is dry, make four slits about half an inch long at the bottom of the cardboard roll. Then take the slits and fold them outwards. These slits are how you will attach the paper towel roll onto the cereal box to make string instruments out of household items.
- Tape the open end of the cereal box. After the paint has dried on the box, use the tape to tape it shut.
- Cut a hole in the middle of the cereal box. Cut a round circle in the center of the cereal box. The circle should be about four inches in diameter. If you are doing this project with a young child, you may want to do this part yourself.
- Tape the paper towel roll to the cereal box. Make sure that the slits are sticking out perpendicular to the paper towel roll. Tape the slits down to the taped end of the cereal box. This paper towel roll will now serve as the neck of your guitar.
- Stretch your rubber bands around the cereal box. Take your rubber bands and stretch them from the taped edge of the cereal box to the opposite end. Place three rubber bands on one side of the neck and three rubber bands on the other side of the neck.
This is a very simple way to make string instruments out of household items. Still, your children may think you are a genius. This is also a great lesson in recycling. There are many other types of instruments you can also make. Talk with your children about any ideas they can come up with to make other types of string instruments out of household items. You may be surprised at how creative their ideas are.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.