Learn how to make sugar cookies from scratch the easy way. Making sugar cookies is not difficult when you follow these very easy tips here. Sugar cookies have long been the traditional cookie for Halloween and Christmas and are easily decorated.
In order to make sugar cookies from scratch you will need:
- A recipe.
- Dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt and baking power.
- Wet ingredients: eggs, milk and eggs
- Utensils: Mixing bowl, mixing spoons, baking pan and spatula.
Recipe For Sugar Cookies from Scratch:
The first step in making sugar cookies from scratch is to find a good recipe. You can search the internet for one that pleases you or ask your neighbors for their favorite recipe. When you first start making your cookie dough, make sure to follow the recipe precisely.
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3.5 cups white all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Make sure all your utensils are free of grease. Wash them in hot water and dry them prior to use for the best tasting sugar cookies from scratch.
- Make sure to sift the dry ingredients twice. There are many types of sifters from hand crank to simply a regular metal sifter that is used just by shaking back and forth. Sift the flour, salt and the baking powder. There is no need to sift the sugar.
- Creaming the butter is very important. You should cut the butter up into small pieces and then add in the sugar. With a fork, start mashing the butter into the sugar. If you do not want to use a fork, there are special hand blenders you can use. Make sure the sugar and butter are creamed together very well and then if necessary use your hands to finish the job.
- When adding eggs to the sugar cookie from scratch recipe, add them one at a time. Beat one egg into the cookie mixture before adding the second egg. Now add in the vanilla and mix very well. Add in the sifted dry ingredients now. You should add the dry ingredients in portions. Add 1/3 of the dough and then blend and then do this again until the dry ingredients are combined.
- After the dough is prepared, place the dough in the refrigerator for one hour or more before using. Bring the dough from the refrigerator and let it set for fifteen minutes before using. Roll out the dough into a circular dimension on a floured area or board.
- The dough should be at least 1/8 inch thick. Dip your cookie cutter in flour first before trying to cut out your cookie. You may have to do this several times before finishing all the dough. If you do not have a cookie cutter, you can use a small glass or ring. Place the cookies on a greased and floured cookie sheet.
- After you have cut out the cookies in the dough, gather up the remaining dough and roll in a ball. Now roll out the dough again and begin cutting out more cookies. Continue this process until the dough is all used up.
- With all cookies that will not be decorated with icing, sprinkle with sugar. You may want to dye the sugar first to make the sugar cookies from scratch look prettier.
- Bake the cookies in a hot preheated oven. The best temperature is 375 degrees Fahrenheit or 190 degrees centigrade. Bake the cookies for fifteen minutes or until they are lightly browned on the edges.
- When the cookies are done, remove them from the baking pan and allow to cool. If you plan to ice the cookies, have the icing prepared and ice the cookies when they are completely cooled. Store the cookies in a tightly sealed container. These sugar cookies from scratch make great gifts for anytime of the year.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.