Often called beefstick or beer sausage, some sausages were called summer sausages because they were cured in the winter and then lasted into the summer. When you make summer sausage, you will probably think sandy beaches, cool winds and midnight football. But the great thing about summer sausage is that it can be made year round.
Supplies Needed to Make Summer Sausage
- Aluminum Foil
- Boiler Pan
- Oven set to 325 degrees
Ingredients Needed to Make Summer Sausage
- 3 lbs. ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon course salt
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 c. water
2 tsp. liquid smoke
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Shape the summer sausage into a roll.
- Wrap the summer sausage in foil and refrigerate it for 24 hours.
- Preheat an oven for 325 degrees.
- When your ready to back the summer sausage, poke holes in bottom of the foil with a toothpick.
- Put 1/2 inch of water in boiler pan.
- Place wrapped meat on broiler rack over water.
- Bake about 90 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Cool the summer sausage. The summer sausage may be refrigerated for up to three weeks.
Summer sausage makes excellent hors' d'oeurvres, and it is great served with cheese and wine for a quick, light snack for friends. Summer sausage is delicious on sandwiches made with thinly slice rye bread. Enjoy!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
What Makes Men Attractive to Women
What women want—confidence, a sense of humor and abs.