Make a sweatshirt jacket from a sweatshirt and a few other sewing notions. Sweatshirts are comfortable and warm. If you have a favorite sweatshirt, like with a sports logo on front or from a favorite vacation destination, that you'd like to make into a jacket, it's easy enough to do. All you need is a little sewing skill.
To make a sweatshirt jacket, you will need:
- sweatshirt, with or without a hood
- open-ended zipper
- sewing machine with zipper foot
- thread, pins, scissors
- Choose a sweatshirt that is roomy. Make sure the sweatshirt is large enough that it will still fit when the zipper is added. Jackets are meant to be a bit larger than shirts so that they'll fit easily over several layers of regular clothes such as a t-shirt and another shirt.
- Decide if you want a sweatshirt jacket with a hood. Having a hood isn't mandatory but a sweatshirt jacket with a hood will offer more warmth and protection from rain and snow.
- Mark the center of the front of the sweatshirt. Draw a vertical line lightly down the front of the sweatshirt from the collar to the ribbing at the bottom of the sweatshirt. This is where you will cut the sweatshirt to insert the zipper.
Pin the zipper in place. Be sure to use an open-ended zipper that opens completely on both the top and bottom with it is unzipped. Unzip the zipper so there are two pieces. Pin one side of the zipper in place. Start pinning at the bottom of one side of the sweatshirt. Fold the edge of the sweatshirt under so the raw edge will not be visible from the inside of the sweatshirt, put the zipper in place lining up the bottom of the zipper with the bottom of the sweatshirt. Pin one side of the zipper in place all the way to the top.
- If the zipper is longer than the sweatshirt, carefully line up the top of the sweatshirt with the zipper and trim it. Be sure to leave an extra half-inch on that end of the zipper. Make sure there is overlap of about 1/8 inch so when the sweatshirt zipper is closed, the zipper will not be visible. Pin the second side of the zipper to the other side of the sweatshirt. Carefully zip them together to ensure they are aligned.
- Sew in one side of the zipper. Sew from the front of the sweatshirt using top-stitch stitching. Sew one side of the zipper in place with the zipper foot close to the folded fabric sewing from bottom to top. Make sure there is enough turned under fabric that the sewing thread will catch to ensure there are no gaps. When you get to the top, then backstitch to seal the threads.
- Sew in the second side of the zipper. Sew the other side of the zipper to the other side of the other side of the front of the sweatshirt.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …