Learn how to make Swiss steak and you've mastered the sort of dish that has it all: it's hearty enough to feed several ravenous guys, sophisticated enough to impress the ladies, and retro enough to satisfy a longing for good, old-fashioned mom-style cooking.
Paired with mashed potatoes and a green salad, you've got yourself a meal to be reckoned with.
To make Swiss steak, you will need:
- 2 pounds of beef bottom round or round steak, between 3/4 inch and 1 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Dutch oven or large, ovenproof skillet
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup wine or beer (any type is fine — red or white wine, dark or light beer)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Trim any excess fat off the steak and sprinkle each side of the beef with 1/2 of the minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the meat into serving-sized pieces: 4 for hearty eaters, 5 or 6 for more diners or smaller appetites.
- Place the 1/2 cup of flour into a shallow bowl. Dredge each piece of steak separately in the flour, covering both sides and shaking off the excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the Dutch oven or skillet over high heat.
- Brown the steak pieces in the hot oil, about 7 minutes on each side. Take the meat out of the pan and place on a plate.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the pan. Turn the heat to medium-low and put the cover on the pan. Allow the vegetable to soften but not brown, stirring them occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the beef or chicken stock, the wine or beer, the tomato paste, and the basil to the pan, stirring to blend.
- Put the steak back into the pan, cover it, and bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve the steak by placing the individual pieces on a platter and pouring the accumulated sauce from the pan onto the beef.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!