Want to know how to make a taco salad shell? Taco salad shells are a great way to present your favorite taco salads and Mexican dishes. They are formed into the shape of a bowl, baked in the oven or fried and then stuffed with traditional taco salad ingredients. These taco shell bowls can be made plain or spices can be added before the cooking process to add more flavors.
Whole-wheat or low carb tortillas can be used to cut calories and carbs. Low carb tortillas contain 4 grams of carbs per serving, as opposed to flour tortillas, which can contain up to 25 grams of carbs. This is a recipe that everyone can enjoy without worrying about busting out the waistline.
- 4 large tortillas of choice
- cooking oil spray
- 2 Oven safe bowls
- Baking sheet
- Rack or plates for cooling
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. It’s important that the oven is fully preheated for best results.
- Take the baking sheet and place the two oven safe bowls upside down on the sheet. Make sure you use a baking sheet that is at least an inch in depth. This will prevent the bowls from sliding off when you take them out of the oven.
- Spray the tortilla on one side with cooking spray. This is where you can add any spices or seasonings to the sprayed side of the tortilla.
- Place oil side down over the oven safe bowl and fold down around the bowl. This will help form the taco shell into the shape of a bowl. Taking your fingers, pinch and fold over access of tortilla and fold in towards the bowl. Make a straight crease from the top of the shell to the bottom. You should be able to do five folds evenly spaced around the taco shell to form a bowl.
- Repeat this process with the other tortillas. If you have more baking sheets and oven safe bowls, you may want to cook more than two at a time.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes. Check them after 8 minutes to make sure they don’t get overcooked. They should be golden brown and crispy when done.
- Remove from the oven and place on a rack or plates to let them cool. Serve the taco shell filled with taco meat, lettuce, refried beans, shredded cheese, salsa and sour cream.
These are fun and easy to make and a much healthier version than what you will find in fast food restaurants. These are baked, so there is less saturated fat, calories and oil. The seasonings are nice additions and garlic salt, oregano, Italian seasoning, ground cumin and curry powder all have nice flavors. This baked style provides a good, solid taco shell that won’t fall apart as easy as the fried versions.
Tip: If you want to make smaller taco shells, use the smaller tortillas and aluminum soup cans on a baking sheet for the shape.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Now Fat and Scruffy, Mark-Paul Gosselaar Tells Us All About ...
The man formerly known as Zack Morris is hairier, heftier and playing a Major League catcher in the new FOX show.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.