How To Make Taco Salad Shells
Ever wondered how to make taco salad shells? Taco Salad is a favorite recipe in many households and making edible bowls to serve it in is a snap. This quick and easy dish is perfect for days when you do not have the time to cook a large family meal. Taco salad shells make good serving bowls for other main dish entrees as well. Use low carb or whole grain tortillas for a lighter version of the dish, or bake the shells for a lower fat alternative cooking method.
To make taco salad shells you will need:
- package of large flour tortillas
- Oil for frying
- large empty can of family sized cans of soup or baked beans
- Olive oil (optional)
- Basting brush (optional)
To fry a taco salad shell:
- Fill a shallow skillet with enough oil to float the tortillas. Cast iron skillets are great for frying at higher temperatures without burning.
Heat the oil to approximately 375 degrees or until a drop of water causes the oil to sizzle and pop.
- Take one tortilla and place in the hot oil and place one the large can in the center of the tortilla. If you do not have a large can, a soup ladle makes a good substitute. Hold it down to make the bowl shape. Fry until lightly brown or until the edges begin to puff up.
To bake a taco salad shell:
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Fill a shallow baking dish with one to two inches of water. Place the empty food can in the center of a baking pan .
- Brush tortilla with oil and place on top of the empty can. Shape into a bowl by pressing down and pinching the ends.
Bake for approximately ten minutes or until lightly brown and crispy.
To serve taco salad, fill your shell with your favorite taco salad and top with salsa and sour cream. You can even substitute taco salad with chicken salad topped with slivered almonds or grapes.