If you love to eat tacos, then learning how to make taco seasoning from scratch will enable you to cook them at home easily and save you money. Taco seasoning is a blend of spices and herbs combined to give tacos, as well as many Mexican and southwestern-inspired dishes, their unique flavor. Instead of ordering from specialty food catalogs, make your own at home.
To make taco seasoning from scratch, you will need:
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Kosher salt
- Ground cumin
- Cayenne pepper
- Tomato powder
- Dried Mexican oregano
- Dried cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper
- An airtight container
A medium-sized bowl
Place the dried cilantro and dried Mexican oregano in the bowl. You will make this taco seasoning recipe using ratios. Each ingredient will be multiplied off of the base quantity of the dried herbs.
- Add kosher salt and tomato powder at two times the quantity of the dried herbs to the bowl. The salt ensures that all the other flavors will mix harmoniously, while the tomato powder will give the taco seasoning a rich final product.
- Add onion powder and garlic powder at three times the quantity of the dried herbs to the bowl. Onion and garlic are ever present flavors that work much like salt in Mexican cuisine to give the food a cohesive, savory flavor. They add a nice kick to taco seasoning made from scratch, and if you were to leave them out the taco seasoning mix would taste quite dull.
- Add cayenne pepper, freshly ground black pepper, paprika, chili powder and cumin powder at 4 times the quantity of the dried herbs to the bowl. These flavors are the bold spices that are always present in taco seasoning. They are featured heavily in Mexican cuisine and are a distinctive part of taco seasoning.
- Mix all the spices together with your whisk. You want to make sure to thoroughly incorporate the seasonings with each other.
- Pour your fresh, made-from-scratch taco seasoning into an airtight container. It is best to use the taco seasoning mix within a year of making it to ensure the freshness of the spices.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …