If you love tacos, but hate the dry, brittle taco shells that you can buy at the store, then learn how to make taco shells from scratch. Try this recipe for taco shells from scratch, and you'll never want to buy store-bought taco shells again.
What you'll need:
- All-purpose flour
- Shortening or vegetable oil for frying
- Cold water
- Two medium-sized skillets
- A large bowl
- Tongs or a butter knife and spoon
- Mix ingredients. In a large bowl, mix 3 cups of cold water, 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 eggs together. Beat the batter until it is smooth and no longer contains lumps.
- Cook tortillas. In a medium sized skillet, heat a thin layer of oil or shortening over medium heat. Be careful not to overheat the oil. Pour a small amount of batter into the pan, then tilt the pan to spread the batter out into a circle five to six inches in diameter. Cook the tortilla until the edges begin to dry, then flip and cook the other side.
- Form the shell. Heat one inch of oil or shortening in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Once the tortilla has been cooked throughout, remove it from the first skillet and transfer to the second skillet containing more oil. While the tortilla is frying, carefully use tongs, or a butter knife and a spoon, to fold the tortilla in half into the shape of a taco shell. When the taco shell begins to brown, flip. When both sides are evenly cooked, and the taco shell holds its shape, remove from the second skillet.
Serve. Serve taco shells immediately, while still warm. Top with your desired taco toppings and enjoy.
- Options. This recipe makes a very large batch of taco shells. You may want to halve the recipe if you do not require a large amount of taco shells.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.