You can make your own homemade taco shells in just a few minutes, using a few simple ingredients. What could be better than freshly cooked, warm, crispy taco shells?
Things You'll Need:
- Small flour or corn tortillas (use corn if you like it crispy)
- vegetable or canola oil
- small frying pan or skillet
- paper towels
- 2 forks (metal or wood)
- Add oil to the skillet. There needs to be about an inch of oil, ideally. Allow the oil to heat up to about 250 degrees.
- Completely submerge one tortilla in the oil. When the tortilla begins to cook, it will float to the top of the oil.
- Use your forks to manipulate the shape of the tortilla. Use one fork to hold the tortilla down in the middle, and use the other one to fold it over in the shape of the taco. Hold the tortilla in this position as it fries and begins to harden and take form.
- Keeping the bottom half and top half separate, flip the tortilla over in the oil. This allows the other side of the tortilla to take shape. Continue to support the shape of the taco with your forks.
- After about a minute, test for done-ness. Continue to flip over as needed until the shell is nice and crisp (but not too crisp)
- Take the cooked shell out of the oil and allow to drain on paper towels. The excess oil will seep out and the shell will continue to get crispier as it sits.
- Repeat steps 1 to 6 for as many homemade taco shells as you want to eat!
- Make sure the shell is not too crisp when you take it out of the oil. Keep in mind that it will continue to crisp even after cooking. You don't want it to be so brittle that it shatters with the first bite.
- Always be careful when working with hot oil.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Online Gaming
Get into FPSs and MOBAs without getting your ass kicked… too much.