Learn how to make tacos de birria, and you can enjoy this delicious street food at home. Tacos de birria are made from tender, fall-apart-in-your-mouth goat meat, served with fresh vegetables and lots of spice. Making the tacos de birria takes time because the goat needs to stew, but, the process is easy.
To make tacos de birria, you will need:
- 1 dried hot chili pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- two tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bone-in leg of goat, about 6 pounds
- corn tortillas
- shredded green cabbage
- thinly sliced radishes
- chopped cilantro
To make tacos de birria:
- Heat the chili, garlic, onion and cumin in oil over medium heat until the onion is transparent. Be careful not to overcook.
- Rub goat leg with the spice mixture, then allow to sit, refrigerated, for four hours. During this time, the meat will marinate.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Put goat leg in a large, deep casserole, and cover tightly with foil. A tight seal is necessary to ensure that the taco de birria meat does not dry out while cooking.
- Roast at 325 for five to seven hours. If the taco de birria meat seems to be drying out, add half a cup of water to the pan.
- When taco de birrira meat is thoroughly cooked and tender, pull meat off the bone. Shred with two forks.
- Layer taco de birria meat, cabbage, radishes and cilantro in corn tortillas to serve. Offer salsa and hot sauce on the side.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...