If you want know how to make tamales from scratch then these simple directions will have you eating this Mexican specialty from your own kitchen. To make tamales from scratch prepare the meat the day before to make the process simpler.
If you want to make tamales from scratch, you will need:
- 6 pound beef roast
- 1 8.25-ounce jars mole sauce
- 2 10-ounce cans red enchilada sauce
- 1 package corn husks
- Masa dough
- Vegetable oil
- Put the beef roast in a slow cooker. Cook overnight until tender. Shred the beef when cool.
- Mix the red enchilada sauce and mole sauce until smooth. Pour over the shredded beef and mix well.
- Soak the corn husks to wrap the tamales in a sink of warm water for a half hour. Pat them dry.
- Spread a spoonful of masa on a corn husk. Put the meat in a column in the center of the masa.
- Fold the corn husk over with the masa enclosing the meat. Then fold the end up and tie with a strip of corn husk. Continue to make the rest of the tamales.
- Put tamales in the steamer with the open end up and the folded end down. Put a clean damp towel over the tamales and cover with the lid.
- Steam for one a half hours. Check the tamales by removing one from the steamer and carefully unwrapping it. The masa should be firm and not mushy.
- When done, remove the tamales from the steamer and lay out on a sheet pan in a single layer to cool. You can store tamales in zip loc bags in the refrigerator for a few days and in the freezer for a few months.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.