Learning how to make tea cakes is a great dessert recipe for beginners. Not only are tea cakes quick to make but they are also very easy. Most basic tea cakes require only a few common ingredients to make and can easily be customized by adding in berries, nuts or various flavorings. Tea cakes are the perfect companion for tea or paired with a cup of hot coffee. There are many different varieties of tea cakes. This easy to follow recipe creates a basic tea cake that is sweet and dense with a buttery flavor.
To make tea cakes, you will need:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cooking spray
- large bowl
- rolling pin
- cookie cutter
- baking pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add flour, baking soda and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Whisk together until combined.
- Add the sugar.
- Add in the eggs and buttermilk.
- Mix until the mixture is creamed.
- Add in the butter and vanilla.
- Mix well until a soft dough forms.
- Lightly flour a working surface and place the dough on it.
- Roll the dough out on the floured surface until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into the desired shape with a cookie cutter.
- Lightly grease a cooking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the dough cutouts onto the tray about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 -12 minutes or until golden.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …