How To Make Tequila Drinks
Knowing how to make tequila drinks can help you throw a great party, or entertain dinner guests with delicious cocktails. Made from the juice of the agave plant, tequila is one of the most popular alcoholic beverages served in the US. Always remember to drink and serve responsibly, and be sure your guests have a designated driver if they overindulge.
Tequila serves as the basis for a wide number of cocktails, but some of the most popular are margaritas, tequila sunrise, and straight-up tequila shots. Offer a high-quality tequila and a good selection of mixers, and your guests are sure to go home happy.
To make a margarita, you will need:
- Margarita mix (alternately, lime juice and triple sec)
- Margarita glasses
- Mix the margarita. In the shaker, add about one part tequila to one part margarita mix. If you don't want to use a pre-made mix, combine lime juice and triple sec. Shake to combine. Some margarita mixes come complete with tequila, as well, which will save you time if you don't want to mix individual drinks. Alternately, add margarita mix and tequila to ice in a blender and blend to make a frozen margarita.
- Prepare the glass. Quarter the lime and use one slice to moisten the rim of the glass. Rub the rim in margarita salt. Add a few ice cubes to the glass.
- Pour the margarita. Carefully pour the mixed margarita into the glass. Enjoy.
There are several variations to the basic margarita. Add fruit and/or fruit liqueur to make a strawberry or pineapple margarita, or substitute blue Curacao for triple sec to make a colorful blue margarita. For sweeter, fruit-based margaritas, substitute sugar for salt when preparing the glass.
Another popular tequila drink is the tequila sunrise. The "sunrise" effect of this drink depends upon adding the ingredients in the proper order. To make a tequila sunrise, you will need:
- Orange juice
- A Collins or highball glass
- Add the tequila. Pour about an ounce and a half of tequila over three or four ice cubes in the glass.
- Add the orange juice. Follow the tequila with four to six ounces of orange juice.
- Add the grenadine. Pour about a half ounce of grenadine into the tequila and orange juice mixture. Let it settle to the bottom without stirring the drink. This creates the "sunrise" effect.
Garnish with an orange slice and enjoy.
Straight-up shots are another popular way to enjoy tequila. Enjoy your shots straight or with the traditional added salt and lime wedge. A high-quality "sipping" tequila can be best enjoyed straight, and savored over a period of time rather than in a single quaff.
Whatever way you decide to enjoy your tequila drinks, be sure to drink responsibly, don't overindulge, and look out for your guests or companions whenever you drink.