How To Make Thai Spring Roll
Want to learn how to make Thai spring rolls? You’ve come to the right place! A spring roll is made of a thin, edible outer wrapping that is filled with various mixtures of meat and/or vegetables, then deep fried to a crisp, golden brown. They are perfect for party finger-food or a delicious appetizer. Spring rolls are a very popular dish for the Thai and non-Thai alike, and once you complete this easy recipe, you’ll know why.
Things You'll Need:
- 1 package (about 25) spring roll wrappers
- 1 package shredded coleslaw mix (shredded carrots and cabbage)
- 1 egg
- 1 pound ground beef/pork/chicken/turkey
- 1 small package rice noodles
- 1 tsp flour
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying
- sweet chili sauce (or sweet and sour sauce)
- Take the rice noodles out of the package and soak them in a bowl of water. They will soften while you are preparing everything else.
- Brown your meat in a skillet over medium heat. Use salt and pepper to season, if desired. Do not drain.
- Add shredded coleslaw mix (shredded carrots and cabbage) to meat, and continue to cook about ten minutes until veggies are tender.
- Remove rice noodles from water and add to meat/veggie mixture, combining thoroughly. Add soy sauce and sugar and heat through.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl. This will be the “glue” the holds the wrappers together.
- Lay out a wrapper in front of you so that it looks like a diamond. (One of the corners should be pointing to you.) Take a heaping tablespoon of meat/veggie mixture and place it right in the middle of the wrapper. Fold the corner closest to you over the meat mixture, and tuck it in. Next, fold over the left and right corners over the meat (imagine you are making an envelope.) Now, just roll. Spread a bit of the beaten egg over the inside of the last corner, then fold it over and seal to complete the roll.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Continue to make more rolls as the oil heats.
- When oil is hot, place three or four spring rolls in carefully with tongs. Fry to a golden brown, turning frequently for even color.
- Garnish with sweet chili sauce (or the sauce you prefer). Enjoy!
Meat may be omitted for a vegetarian option. Or, try replacing it with tofu!
Use your favorite vegetables for a personalized taste. Try corn, shredded green or red peppers or onions!