Learning how to make a tie blanket isn't difficult for almost any one because there's no sewing involved. Once you've mastered putting them together, they make quick handmade gifts. They can be used for birthday, holiday or as housewarming presents. Tie blankets will also keep you warm at football or soccer games or just sitting in front of the television.
To make a tie blanket you will need:
- Two pieces of polar fleece 60 x 72 inches, one solid and one matching print
- Measuring tape
- Four x four inch cardboard square
- Masking tape
- Place wrong sides of the fleece together. Use straight pins to pin the material together about eight inches from the edges on all four sides.
- Trim two inches from of each side of the fleece. This will remove the salvage edges. Make sure that the fabric is the same size but it's not necessary if it's perfect.
- Cut out a square from each corner of the tie blanket. Use the four x four cardboard square as a template. Place a line of masking tape five inches from each edge to use as a cutting guide.
- Cut fringe four inches deep by one inch wide. Cut through both thicknesses at the same time, on all four sides. You don't need to measure this exactly.
- Tie the fleece blanket together using over hand knots. Continuing knotting all around the blanket. When you're finished, remove the tape and pins.
Tip: If the tie blanket is puckering, tie every other fringe, all the way around the blanket. Flip the blanket over and tie the remaining pieces of fringe. Use single weight fleece for best results. Tie blankets are also called knot blankets.