Once you learn how to make Tofu with vinegar you will have a special ingredient to add to a variety of dishes. Tofu is an ancient Chinese soybean based protein food that contains about nine grams of protein per four ounces of firm Tofu. Tofu can be seasoned or marinated and used as a meat replacement.
To make Tofu with vinegar, you will need:
- Cheesecloth or sieve
- Large Pot
- Soy Beans
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Wood or Stainless Steele Tofu Press
- Wash the soybeans in water and remove any bad beans or natural debris. Soak a pound of soybeans in eight cups of water for eight to ten hours. Rinse the soybeans in water and drain.
- Place the soybeans in a blender and cover with water. Blend the soybeans for three to four minutes or until they are completely puréed. The soybeans will look white and have the consistency of cooked cereal. Repeat until all the soybeans are blended.
- Place the blended soybeans in a large pot. Add a gallon of water to the pot. Note: If you don’t have a large pot like a canning pot, you can separate the soybeans into two pots for cooking. Bring the soybeans to a boil then lower the heat. Simmer for twenty minutes and stir often. As the soybeans cook, white foam will form on the top. Use a spoon to scoop to remove the foam.
- Place a large pot or bowl in the sink and cover with a sieve or cheese cloth. Bring the soybeans to the sink and ladle soybeans from the pot into the sieve for straining. Note: The soybeans pulp, after straining, is called okara, and can be added to many recipes such as hamburgers or casseroles. Place the okara in cheesecloth and squeeze out the remaining soy milk. Place the okara in a container and refrigerate.
- Pour the soy milk into a clean pot and cook to 180 degrees. Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed in one cup of warm water to the soy milk. Vinegar is used to solidify or coagulate the Tofu. The soy milk will separate within a few minutes, if it doesn’t add more vinegar. When the soy milk separates and looks like curds and the liquid is clear, remove the pot from the heat. Ladle the soy milk curds into a cheesecloth or muslin lined Tofu mold, placed in the sink, and let it drain. Wrap the cloth over the Tofu, put the cover on the mold, and press down to force liquid from the mold. Place a heavy object, like a container of water or a brick, on the mold lid and let the Tofu stand for 30 minutes. Unwrap the Tofu gently, put it in a container, cover with water, and refrigerate.
- Tofu will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to a week provided you change the water in the container daily.
- Do not leave the cooking soy milk unattended to avoid scorching or burning the milk.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.