How to Make a Tom Collins
Don't know how to make a Tom Collins from scratch? True Tom Collins lovers often consider the best Tom Collins cocktails to be the ones made from scratch. It is becoming more common for bartenders to make Tom Collins cocktails out of pre-mixed mixes instead of concocting the drink from homemade ingredients. If you have never tasted a Tom Collins made with homemade ingredients, you might be surprised at the taste difference. The process of making a homemade Tom Collins from scratch is not difficult or complicated and once you taste a homemade Tom Collins, you may never be able to drink anything else. Treat guests to homemade Tom Collins cocktails at your next gathering and they will be impressed with your resourcefulness.
To make a Tom Collins, you will need:
- Ice cubes
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 oz. lemon juice
- 2 oz. gin
- 3 oz. club soda
- 1 wedge orange
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Stir stick
- Tall glass
- Ice Fill the shaker half-full with ice cubes.
- Sweet & Sour Measure and pour the sugar, lemon juice and gin over the ice cubes.
- Shake Cover the shaker and shake the ingredients well in the shaker to incorporate them completely. Some people consider the shaking process to be the key to a tasty Tom Collins so shake the ingredients vigorously.
- More Ice Fill the tall glass approximately one-quarter full with ice cubes. Pour the shaker ingredients over the ice cubes without adding any additional ice cubes to the tall glass.
- Club Soda Measure and pour the club soda into the tall glass. Stir the ingredients with the stir stick.
- Cherry On Top Add the maraschino cherry and the orange wedge to the top of the drink as garnishes.
- Serve Serve the Tom Collins cocktail immediately.