When growing tomatoes, you'll need to know how to make tomato cages to keep the plants from falling over or sprawling out all over your garden plot. Using a tomato cage also preserves space in your garden by allowing the plants to grow vertically, rather than horizontally. To make a sturdy tomato cage, you only need a few supplies and a little determination.
What you'll need:
- Welded wire fencing
- Wire cutters
- Measuring tape
- Picking your fencing. Determine the appropriate dimensions of the fencing that you will require in your garden. When growing a variety of tomato that grows taller, buy a taller welded wire fence. Fencing 5-6 foot tall would work well for the taller tomato varieties. When growing a dwarf variety of tomatoes, a 3-4 foot fence should do the trick. Buy welded wire fencing with the larger grid pattern. The smaller grid may not allow enough room to reach inside to remove the tomatoes when they become ripe.
- Measure and cut. Measure out a 5 foot length of the welded wire fencing, then cut it with the wire cutters. Make the cuts in front of the next vertical wire, leaving a long wire prong on each segment.
- Make the hooks. Bend the wire prongs backward to form hooks.
- Make the cage. Roll the welded wire into a cylinder to make the tomato cage. Use the hooks to attach the two sides together.
- Finish. Cut the bottom row of wire segments between each vertical wire to form more prongs. These prongs will be used to push the tomato cage into the soil around your tomato plants.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …