Learn how to make tomato soup like grandma used to make without all the fuss. A hot steamy bowl of tomato soup has always been a favorite comfort food on those cold days. It satisfies your hunger and warms your heart and your stomach. Making tomato soup is a skill you can master quickly to delight both family and friends.
To make tomato soup, you'll need:
- 1 large to medium saucepan
- A blender or food processor
- 1 tablespoon. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 10 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil on medium in saucepan. Olive oil has a lower burn temperature than other oils so make sure it's not too high a heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and sugar to oil. Cook till onions are translucent and browned slightly. The sugar helps to caramelize the onion and take some of the acid taste away from the tomatoes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes. Bring to a slight boil, then simmer for about fifteen minutes or till tomatoes are very soft. Stir often while simmering.
- Remove tomato soup from pot and put into blender till smooth.
- Return to heat briefly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Serves six. This tomato soup can be served as a cold summer soup also and is good with a hearty slice of French or Italian bread and a green salad.
You can also dress it up by snipping some broccoli florets and floating them on top. For a heartier soup add half a cup of instant rice after blending.
FIG & OLIVE restaurant founder Laurent Halasz shares a few essential tips on cooking with olive oil
Supermarkets and fast-food restaurants in the U.S. have started throwing out their tomatoes in response to the recent sa ...
These days, there's no excuse for using artificially colored, mass-produced condiments. Drunkenly eating fast food is on ...