If you love the taste of homemade tacos, then you need to learn how to make tortillas from scratch. Fast Food will taste like dog food after you start making your own flour tortillas. Frugal and tasty food is the result of making this Mexican cuisine staple. Continue reading to learn how simple it is to make tortillas from scratch.
To make tortillas, you will need:
- 3 cups Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 4 tbsp. Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/4 cups Water
- Rolling Pin
- Griddle or Skillet
- Wax Paper
- Start dry. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl as you begin the how to make tortillas from scratch chore. Blending all dry items together makes sure ingredients are combined.
- Cut-in shortening. Add vegetable shortening to the flour mixture as the next process in how to make tortillas from scratch. Use a pastry cutter to integrate shortening completely.
- Add liquid. Warm water until tepid to use in the how to make tortillas from scratch recipe. Begin by pouring small amount of water to flour mixture until malleable.
- Work the dough. Prepare work area by covering with wax paper or plastic wrap. Knead dough for five to seven minutes. Let dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Create circles. Make dough into small balls as you continue the making tortillas from scratch task. Use a rolling pin to flatten balls into flat circles. Apply flour, when needed, to flour.
- Finish the job. Place tortillas on warm griddle under warm heat one at a time. Cook each side for a minute each as you complete how to make tortillas from scratch.
- Keep tortillas hot by using a tortilla warmer.
- Make tortillas healthier by using whole wheat flour
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
A Noble Experiment… With Bourbon
What happens when jeans are “aged” liked a fine spirit? We’ll soon find out.
Today in Nick Offerman: Love, Work and iPhone Advice
He offered that, plus tales of college sex, on the Tonight Show.
Cooking With Booze: Bourbon Barrel Quad Ice Cream
If you're ever going to make dessert, make it this beer-and-bourbon brilliance.