How To Make Tortillas
By keeping some basic guidelines in mind, you can learn how to make tortillas. Tortillas go great with beef, chicken or any other meat of your choice. Try them out today!
Ingredients and Equipment:
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Cast iron pan
- Damp towel
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt together in the bowl. Carefully cut the lard into the flour mixture, and combine thoroughly. Make sure the flour mixture and lard are evenly distributed.
- Add the water to the mixture one quarter of a cup at a time. Thoroughly incorporate the water after each addition. Form the dough into a smooth ball, and cover with a damp cloth. Allow the mixture to rest for thirty minutes in a warm spot.
- Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto a clean work surface. Place a small amount of the flour onto a rolling pin. Place the dough onto the workspace, and sprinkle the top of the dough with flour. Kneed the dough for two minutes until it is smooth and pliable.
- Form the dough into a roll, and divide into twelve equal portions. Form each portion into a ball, and place on a floured sheet pan. Cover with a damp cloth and place in a warm location for ten minutes.
- Sprinkle flour onto the work surface, and place one of the balls of dough on the surface. Carefully roll the dough into a circle at a thickness of 1/8 of an inch. Try to keep the tortilla as round as possible. Once the tortilla has been shaped, place it under a damp towel.
- Place the cast iron pan on a stove that has been heated to medium heat. Place a tortilla on the surface, and heat until bubbles begin to form. Use a spatula to flip the tortilla once the bubbles begin to appear. Flip the tortilla again after around fifteen seconds.
- Remove the tortilla from the pan and place it under a kitchen towel. Cook the remaining tortillas, and store under a dry towel until serving.
Posted on: Jul. 31, 2010