2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter, softened (not melted)
4 large eggs
1 cup milk (preferably whole milk)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (try to find extract rather than imitation vanilla)
Buttercream frosting (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins (each with 12 cups) with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the butter until it’s smooth. Add the sugar, ½ cup at a time, and continue beating until thoroughly blended and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, as you continue to beat the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients in 4 parts to the butter mixture, beating each time just until the ingredients are mixed in. Beat in the milk and vanilla halfway through adding dry ingredients.
- When you’re done beating, mix once more with a wooden spoon, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl, to make sure that the batter is blended.
- Using a soup ladle or spoon, fill each of the paper liners about ¾ full with the cupcake batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center a couple of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool in tins for 15 minutes. Remove from tins and place on a wire rack or on the counter until they’re completely cooled (about 45 minutes).
- Frost with buttercream frosting (see recipe below) or storebought frosting. You can use with a spatula to frost, or you can spoon frosting into a Ziploc bag, cut a ½ inch slit in one corner, and use it as a cake-frosting device.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened (not melted)
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat butter in bowl using electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually beat in confectioners sugar.
Beat in milk and vanilla. Continue to beat for 2-3 minutes, until smooth, creamy and dense.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
16 Fall Style Classics Every Man Should Own
Give layering season an upgrade with these updated standards.
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.