Learning how to make vegetable dumplings can be a little bit intimidating. It is sometimes hard to get the right consistency and flavor of the dumplings that are offered at your favorite Chinese take-out restaurant. These dumplings are important during traditional Chinese festivals, and have become an adopted American favorite. There is no special equipment needed to make them except for a steaming rack that you can find at almost any kitchen store. The ingredients can be tailored to your specific tastes. It is also fairly easy to add meat to these dumplings. After a little bit of practice, this version of steamed vegetable dumplings taste authentic and will satisfy any craving that may arise.
To make vegetable dumplings you will need:
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 head cauliflower, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/8 pound shitake mushrooms, diced
- 3 oz tofu, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. ginger, grated
- salt and pepper
- 40 wonton wrappers
- Combine the vegetable oil and the sesame oil. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Heat the oil. Combine the shallot, garlic, cabbage, cauliflower, carrot, mushrooms, tofu, and ginger in a mixing bowl.
- Sauté the vegetable mixture in the oil until tender. Allow to cool completely. Add soy sauce, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Lay out and moisten the wonton wrappers with water. Place a heaping tablespoon of the vegetable mixture onto the middle of the wrapper.
- Fold the wrapper into a triangle and press the edges to seal the dumpling. Repeat until all the wonton wrappers are filled.
- Steam the dumplings in batches for two to three minutes and remove.
- Serve with the remaining soy sauce.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.