How To Make Vegetarian Chinese Food
This recipe will teach you how to make vegetarian Chinese food. Pot stickers are a classic favorite, but they usually contain pork or seafood. This Chinese food recipe is easily altered to suit a vegetarian diet . Gather the ingredients and get started.
To make this vegetarian Chinese recipe you'll need:
- round gyoza wrappers
- cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup tofu, mashed
- cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped bamboo shoots
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. hot chili oil
- 1 tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- two minced garlic cloves
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh ground pepper
1. Heat oil in a large sauté pan or wok. Add the onions, ginger, and mushrooms. After a few minutes, add the cabbage, carrots, bamboo shoots, and garlic with a pinch of salt and pepper. When the veggies are soft, remove from heat and mix in soy sauce, tofu, sesame, and hot chili oil. This mixture is going to be the vegetarian filling for your Chinese food.
2. Lay down a gyoza wrapper and wet the edges with water. Place a teaspoon of filling in the wrapper and fold the sides up to form a half moon shape. Pinch to seal with wet fingers. Keep a bowl of water close by for this purpose. Keep going until you’ve used up all the filling or wrappers. There should be enough Chinese food for at least five people when you’re done.
3. When the pot stickers are ready, heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Place them in the pan and cook for two to three minutes. Add a half cup of water and cover. Allow them to steam for five minutes, then remove from the pan and start the process over again. Enjoy your vegetarian Chinese food.
This recipe makes enough for many people. Invite friends to try your vegetarian Chinese food, or save some to cook later. For leftovers, place uncooked pot stickers on a cookie sheet in the freezer for two hours. Transfer them to a freezer bag. When you’re ready to enjoy them, place them in the fridge to thaw for a couple hours.