Homemade vegetarian pepperoni rises up in the ranks to a progressive alternative to the standard salami variety with this appetizing recipe. Long on flavor, this easy-to-make vegetarian pepperoni recipe is loaded with spices like fennel seed, Spanish smoked paprika and a touch of Liquid Smoke for the zing factor of flavor and preserving. Makes 6-8 servings.
To make vegetarian pepperoni, you will need:
- . 1 ¼ cup vital wheat gluten
- . ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- .¾ teaspoon salt
- .3-teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika
- .1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- .1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- .¾ teaspoon mustard seed
- . 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- .½ teaspoon garlic powder
- .¼ teaspoon onion powder
- . 2 tablespoons cashew butter, peanut butter or tahini (like peanut butter, but made with sesame seeds)
- . 2/3 cup water
- . 4 tablespoons ketchup or tomato sauce
- . 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke (available in grocery stores and online)
- . ¼ teaspoon agave nectar (optional, but use if including tomato sauce)
- Preheat oven to 325 F. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. In a separate small bowl, put the cashew butter and slowly stir in the water. Add remaining “wet” ingredients to the small bowl and blend thoroughly.
- Pour the “wet” mixture into the “dry” and stir well. Remove it from the bowl and knead for a few minutes, ensuring the ingredients distribute throughout the mixture.
- Gently roll into the shape of a pepperoni log, approximately 6 – 7 inches long. Roll the log up in a piece of tin foil, twisting the ends securely to seal.
- Bake the vegetarian pepperoni for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn over once after 45 minutes cook time. Remove from oven and unwrap from foil to cool.
Notes: Vegetarian pepperoni does not have the same consistency of standard pepperoni. Using a canola oil cooking spray, pan-fry for a few minutes to give it a real pepperoni feel.
Purchase agave nectar at local health-food stores.
Use vegetarian pepperoni on pizza and in salads or serve it up with some Monterey Jack cheese wedges and crackers.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.