Treat your family to a traditional Asian delight by learning how to make vegetarian spring rolls. Vegetarian spring rolls are filled with a combination of chopped vegetables that are stir fried in hot oil to create the filling which is placed in a delicate wrapper and deep fried until golden brown. Vegetarian spring rolls are eaten with the fingers after being dipped in a special and easy to make spring roll sauce.
To make vegetarian springs rolls, you will need:
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 6 dried black mushrooms
- 6 bamboo shoots
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 20 spring rolls wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons oil for stir-frying
- 4 cups oil for deep-frying
- Prepare the vegetables. Prepare the vegetable starting with those requiring the most time. Start by placing the bean sprouts in a colander and rinsing them thoroughly. Allow enough time for the bean sprouts to dry completely. Place the mushrooms in a bowl of warm water to soak for 30 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the water, place between two paper towels, and press gently on the mushrooms to extract extra water. Slice the mushrooms into thin slices. Drain and rinse the bamboo shoots and chop finely. Use a grater to grate a washed and peeled carrot. Note: Peeling the carrot removes any bitterness. Dice the red bell pepper.
- Prepare the cooking sauce. Combine water, soy sauce, sugar, and oyster sauce in a bowl and stir until blended. This will be added during stir frying.
- Heat the oil. Place two tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and swirl the pan to give it an even coat of oil. When the oil is hot and sizzling, add all the vegetables and stir fry until tender. Add the cooking sauce mixture and continue to stir. Add salt to taste. Remove from the heat and place in a bowl to cool completely.
- Heat the oil. Place four cups of oil in a deep sauce pan and heat over a medium to high flame.
- Wrap the vegetarian spring rolls. Beat an egg in a small bowl. Place a wrapper in front of you and turn the square wrapper until it is a diamond shape. Use a brush to apply egg on the four edges of the wrapper. Spoon the cooled vegetable filling onto the wrapper near the edge closet to you. The filling should be a rectangle shape but it should never touch the edges of the wrapper. Roll the wrapper over the top and tuck the wrapper end snuggly under the filling. Roll the filled wrapper over until it is just before the middle of the wrapper. Fold the left side of the wrapper in and then fold in the right side. Then continue rolling the filled wrapper. Brush egg on the last edge of the wrapper then continue rolling to seal the spring roll. Repeat the steps until all the rolls are finished.
- Fry the vegetarian spring rolls. Place the spring roll in the hot oil and fry for one to two minutes until it is golden brown. Remove the cooked spring roll from the oil and place on a baking sheet, covered with paper towels, to drain. Repeat until all the vegetarian spring rolls are cooked. Yields twenty. Serve hot with a spring roll dipping sauce.
- You can use your favorite vegetables as substitutes, such as shredded cabbage, finely chopped broccoli, or even rice noodles soaked in water.
- When filling and rolling vegetarian spring rolls, remember they are much smaller and thinner than egg rolls, and are usually used for appetizers.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.