Avoid spending a week's paycheck on an original coat hook by learning how to make a vintage coat hook. The Eames, well known mid-century modern designers, had the goal of bringing design to the masses. WIth just a few basic materials, you can have make a vintage coat hook that looks sosimilar to their design that people may be surprised to learn that you made it yourself.
To make a vintage coat hook, you will need:
- Inexpensive wire frame coat hook. You can use one that screws onto the wall or mounts over a door.
- Three inch diameter foam balls
- White acrylic paint
- Acrylic paint in primary colors
- Paint brush
- Mixing palette
- Drill and drill bit
- Hot glue gun
- Screws and/or dry wall anchors to mount vintage coat hook to wall
- Decide what colors you want to paint each ball. You can stick to primary colors or mix several colors together to get purples, oranges and greens.
- Give each foam ball a coat of white paint. Set the balls aside to dry for about an hour. Wash the paintbrush while waiting for the balls to dry.
- Paint each ball the color of your choice. To make an authentic looking vintage coat hook, you will want to paint each ball a different color. Let the paint dry for about an hour, then apply another coat of paint.
- Once the paint is dried, drill a hole in the center of the bottom of each ball. Use a drill bit that is slightly wider than the wire frame on the coat hook.
- Place a dab of hot glue on the top of each coat hook on the frame. Slide a foam ball onto each hook, pressing gently on it. Let the hot glue dry for a few minutes, then remove any excess dried glue from the outside of the coat hook.
- Hang the vintage coat hook on the wall or over a door. Secure it to the wall with screws or dry wall anchors, if needed.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.