Learning how to make vintage costume jewelry can be a very fun and rewarding experience. Costume jewelry is essentially cheap, disposable jewelry that will match a particular outfit. Vintage means that the pieces used are dated, or from a different time period. Therefore vintage costume jewelry will be from the 1990s and before.
To make vintage costume jewelry you will need:
- Vintage jewelry
- Extra beads
- Chains for bracelets, anklets and necklaces
- Posts, hoops and hooks for earrings
- Extra clasps
- 21-gauge wire
- Wire cutters
- Needle nose pliers
- You will need to acquire some vintage costume jewelry. Great places to purchase costume jewelry are estate sales, antique shops, garage sales, and consignment shops. Even if the jewelry is broken, don’t fret. The best pieces can be made with broken jewelry, and their cheaper.
- Visit a craft store to purchase some additional items that you will need in order to make the vintage costume jewelry. Go ahead and buy some extra beads, chains in all different sizes, earring supplies, and some extra clasps. Purchase a roll of 21-gauge wire, wire cutters, lobster clasps, and needle nose pliers if you decide to make some charm bracelets. Unused chains and clasps can be used later.
- Sort through all of the vintage costume jewelry that you have purchased. Disassemble all of the pieces and set any clasps aside to use later, you will need the pliers for this. Once you have disassembled everything, separate the beads from anything that can be used as charms or pendants.
- Think about what outfits you would like to make vintage costume jewelry for, and what kind of jewelry you want to make for them. Separate all of the pieces that would match that outfit and group them together. Now it is time to decide what you will make with those pieces. Charm bracelets are timeless and they can be made to match almost anything. Earrings are also very easy to make and can go with any outfit. If you go for a necklace, that is great too.
- Now it is time to make the vintage costume jewelry! Let’s start with the easiest piece to make, a necklace. Pick one of the charms or pieces that you set aside. If it has a hoop, then you are ready to add it to one of the chains. Place the charm on a chain that is about sixteen to eighteen inches long. Add a clasp at the end of the chain if it does not have one.
Next let’s make a charm bracelet. Make sure to measure the diameter of your wrist and cut the 21-gauge wire about one-half inch longer than that. Attach a lobster clasp to one end of the wire and then start stringing on the beads and charms. When you are done be sure to add the loop for the clasp.
- Earrings can be made many different ways. You can actually do a search for earring designs and come up with all kinds of possibilities. The easiest kinds to make are posts. All you need to do is glue a stone, pearl or bead to the post and you have a pretty earring. Next, you can even try selling your custom creations online.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.