How To Make A Walking Cane
Learning how to make a walking cane is a simple task that can be accomplished with the most rudimentary of tools. In fact, all you need to get started are a sharp pocket knife and a stick. You may also opt to finish your wooden walking cane with sandpaper and mineral oil or lacquer.
- Select a stick that is a bit shorter than waist height when standing on one end, and about one and a half inches thick. Look for a stick that is sturdy and relatively straight, though a little twisting in the wood can add unique character to your finished walking cane.
- Cut off any protruding leaves, twigs, or smaller sticks from your walking cane, and shave off as much bark as you can using the pocket knife.
- Make a clean, flat cut across the bottom of the stick to give your walking cane a level surface to better balance on.
- Begin shaping the handle area by shaving off small pieces of wood until the can has a round, comfortable gripping surface.
- At this point, you may choose to leave your walking cane rustic and natural looking. Alternately, you can create a more sophisticated look by sanding and polishing the cane.
- Sand the can with progressively finer grit paper: sand once with 80 grit, once with 160 grit, and once more with 200 grit paper to leave a smooth, attractive finish on your walking cane.
- Polish the finished cane with mineral oil or a light wood lacquer to complete the cane.