How To Make A Wallet With Zipper Snaps
Learn how to make a wallet with zipper snaps to enjoy a cute, personalized accessory in minutes! You can use scraps of your favorite fabric to make this easy project.
To make a wallet with a zipper and snaps, you will need:
- Fabric for outside, 5 by 8 inches
- One zipper, at least 7 inches long
- Iron-on interfacing
- Two small press-on grommet snaps to match outside fabric
- Snap press or mallet
- Iron, scissors, sewing machine, thread, pins
Iron your fabric to remove all creases.
Cut one 5-inch by 8-inch rectangle from both the fabric and the interfacing so you have two pieces.
Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric.
- Place the zipper on top of the fabric, right sides together, lining up one edge of the zipper with one short edge, the 5-inch side, of the fabric. Pin in place. Sew a straight stitch 1/4 inch from the edge, then sew a zigzag stitch over the edge to catch and secure both edges.
- Fold the fabric around to line up the opposite short edge with the other edge of the zipper. Pin in place, then partially open the zipper to sew.
- Close the zipper, and make sure the bag is inside out. Line up the folded edges of the bag, right sides together. Sew a straight stitch 1/4 inch from the edge, then sew a zigzag stitch over the edge. Open the zipper part way, then repeat on the other side.
- Turn the bag right-side out. Use the snap press or mallet to place one grommet snap on each end of the zipper, using this to close up the end of the seam and catching the zipper tapes. Trim the zipper short on each side.
Enjoy your new bag!
Posted on: Jun. 10, 2010